(Digital art Courtesy: Hiral Varun)
This is Part 2 of Amma’s Biography (Timeline). If you have not yet read Part 1, kindly read it here
Amma Mata Amritanandamayi Devi’s Biography (Timeline)
continued (Age 35 to 60)
- May 1988 – Amma’s 2nd world tour.
- 28th April 1988 – First Brahmasthana temple consecrated by Amma at Kodungallur.
- Ashram takes over an Orphanage with 400 children at Paripally (which faced a severe financial crunch) and engages in feeding the children, rebuilding the dilapidated buildings, facilities and poor hygienic conditions at considerable cost. Amma diverts the money planned for constructing the Ashram temple for this purpose.
- With the takeover of the orphanage, Amma’s humanitarian activities for the poor and the needy (later christened “Embracing the World” begins). Embracing the World exists to help alleviate the burden of the world’s poor through helping to meet each of their five basic needs — food, shelter, healthcare, education, and livelihood — wherever and whenever possible. ETW is especially focused on helping to meet these needs in the aftermath of major disasters.
- Amma’s first visit to Delhi and Kolkata.
- May 1989 – Amma’s 3rd world tour. Amma’s San Ramon’s Ashram (MA Center) at the USA takes shape. (Amma’s world tours now become regular annual affairs).
- August 1989 – Ottur Unni Nambudiripad passes away with his head on Amma’s lap.
- October 1989 – Amma arranges Sanyasa Diksha to Swami Amritaswarupanandapuri (Br. Balu). To keep up with the Sanyasa parampara traditions, Swami Dhruvananda, a Sanyasin from Sri Ramakrishna Tapovanam, did the formalities to initiate the Sanyas (as per Puri tradition).
1990 (Age 37)
- Amma reveals her vision about starting a Multispeciality Hospital with the most modern medical care for the the benefit of poor.
- 9th April 1990 – Consecration of Ashram Kali (Bhavatarini) Temple.
- 4th May 1990 – Brahmasthana temple consecrated at Chennai
- AICT (Amrita Institute of Computer Technology), Amma’s first higher education institution started in Amritapuri.
1991 (Age 38)
- Amma gives sanyasa Diksha to Br. Madhusudhan (Swami Premananda Puri).
- 17th August 1991 – Amma’s first visit to Russia. It was one of the most crucial periods in Russian history. When Amma was there, there was an attempted coup to overthrow the communist rule and Gorbachev was kept on house arrest. Fortunately, everything ended peacefully without violence and Amma’s devotees felt that Amma’s divine presence was no coincidence that helped in return of peace in a way incomprehensible to the outer world.
1992 (Age 39)
- July 1992 – Amma’s 2nd visit to Russia.
- 16th February 1992 – Brahmasthana temples at Thiruvananthapuram and on 15th April at Pune consecrated.
- Amrita Sanskrit Higher Secondary school at Paripally started – it is one of the largest schools in Kerala to teach Sanskrit as the first language
- Land for proposed Engineering college at Ettimadai, Coimbatore bought. Br Abhayamrita sets out clearing the thorny bushes in the wildland.
1993 (Age 40)
- 18th January 1993 – Consecration of Brahmasthana temple at Kozhikode
- Over the period of time, Lots of youngsters, both males and females get attracted, inspired and motivated by Amma and come forward to lead a life of celibacy, dedicated to serving the society selflessly and seeking spiritual progress under the shade of Amma as a Sadguru and Avatar. They come from all walks of life — engineers, nurses, businessmen, carpenters, artists, college students —most of them are young, some of them middle-aged. They join as Brahmacharis and Brahmacharinis in the ashram, leaving behind their homes and comforts. Those who came at earlier times were content to live in newly built huts (as the finances were meager at that time).
- Hinduism Today magazine selects and honors Amma as the ‘Hindu of the year’
- September 1993 – Amma invited to The Centenary Celebration and 2nd Parliament of World Religions at Chicago USA. Amma participates and speaks on the occasion. She was appointed one of the 3 presidents to represent Hinduism in the assembly of 25 presidents representing all world religions.
1994 (Age 41)
- 23rd May – Foundation stone for AIMS (Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences) Hospital at Edapally, Cochin is laid.
- Started Amrita Kripa Sagar Hospice for terminally ill cancer patients, Mumbai
- August – Amma arranges Sanyasa diksha to Swamis Amritatmanandapuri (Ramesh Rao), Ramakrishnananda Puri (Ramakrishnan), Poornamritanandapuri (Srikumar), Pranavanandapuri (Venu) , Amritagitananda puri (Aneesh) and Swamini Atmaprana (Dr Leela).
- Construction in full swing for the first Engineering college campus at Ettimadai, Coimbatore. Amrita School of Engineering begins with 120 students.
1995 (Age 42)
- August – Amma gives Sanyasa Diksha to Swami Paramatmananda Puri (Neal Rosner), Swami Turiyanandapuri (Unnikrishnan), Swami Prgnyanananda puri (Dhamu), Swami Jnananandapuri (Unnikrishna das), Swamini Krishnamrita Prana (Soumya).
- October – Amma invited to speak at the Interfaith Celebration in honor of the 50th anniversary of the United Nations, at the Cathedral of St John, New York
- (12th February) – Consecration of Brahmasthana temples at Mumbai, at Delhi (3rd March) and at Madurai (5th April)
1996 (Age 43)
- February – Amrita Kuteeram scheme – Amma announces plan for constructing 25000 Homes for the poor and the destitute.
- Amrita Institute of Advaned Computing (AIAC) begins at Ettimadai campus.
- Amrita Institute of Management founded.
- Mother’s Kitchen – scheme to provide food to the poor and homeless people in the USA started by devotees of Amma. (Currently, there are more than 50 branches in the US, Canada, etc and Mother’s Kitchen groups in North America prepare, cook and serve 150,000 meals for the homeless and hungry each year)
- October – Amma gives sanyasa diksha to Swami Amrita Kripananda Puri (Muralidharan) and Swami Vidyamritananda Puri (Sreedhar Bhat)
1997 (Age 44)
- November – Amma deploys women priests (for the first time) to do pujas in Kaimanam and Kodungallur Brahmasthana temples.
- Amrita Speech & Hearing Improvement School (ASHIS) (taken over and run by MA Math)
1998 (Age 45)
- 17th May – AIMS Hospital at Edappally Eranakulam inaugurated by Prime minister Vajpeyee.
- 2nd April – Consecration of Brahmasthana temple at Mauritius Island
- Anbu Illam – Care home for the aged started at Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu.
- Amrita Nidhi, the free pension project for destitute women and widows, begins in Kerala.
1999 (Age 46)
- 22nd January – Consecration of Brahmasthana temples at Palakkad and on 22nd April at Thalassery.
- Gayathri (Gail Tredwell) leaves Ashram after being with Amma for 20 years.